Data Protector A.10.20 (Build 115) has been released on December 6, 2018.
The new version is another full install to simplify the upgrade and installation process.This will continue to be the default for all future Data Protector versions. Data Protector 10.20 does not require any previous version to install the latest version of Data Protector in a new environment. Direct upgrades from Data Protector 8.1x. 9.0x, 10.x to version 10.20 are possible – there is no need to install Data Protector 10.00, 10.03 or 10.10 as an upgrade step.
Data Protector 10.20 is a fully featured Media Kit and therefore currently not available in the Software Support Online (SSO) Portal for download.
You can download it from the Software Licenses and Downloads Portal after logging in using a Micro Focus Software Passport account. Please remember that a valid Support Contract (SAID) or support subscription must be associated with your account.
To avoid any installation issues make sure to read the release notes carefully and make sure to take notes of any hot fixes installation not being part of the new version.
- VMware 6.7 U1 support
- Data Protector now supports VMware vSphere 6.7 U1 along with the latest vddk version.
- With the new vddk integration, the following proxy hosts are supported:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
- Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 (x64)
- Windows Server 2016
- CentOS 7.4 (x64)
- RHEL 6.7, 6.8, 7.2, 7.3 (x64)
- SLES 12.1 (x64)
- With Data Protector 2018.11 (10.20) onwards VMware vSphere 5.5.x is obsoleted.
- Advanced VMware operations with EMC Data Domain System
- Advanced VMware operations such as Granular Recovery, Power On, and Live Migrate are now supported with EMC Data Domain System devices. This feature is also supported for Virtual Machines on VMware vSphere 6.7 U1 environment.
- EMC Data Domain System library upgrade
- Data Protector now integrates with latest EMC Data Domain System library v3.4 and supports DDOS 6.1.
- Virtual Environment integration for H3C CAS
- Data Protector integrates with H3C CAS version 5.0, a cloud management platform for H3C Infrastructure as a service (IaaS), to enable backup and restore of Virtual Machines hosted on the H3C CAS environment.
- Capacity Calculations for Licensing – 90 Days
- The capacity calculation algorithms have been modified to count data backed up and under active protection for last 90 days only for licensing.
- This is applicable for Data Protector Premium license and Capacity Based License only.
- Any data still under protection beyond 90 days will not be counted against the terabytes for licensing.
- REST API Bridge
- Data Protector introduces a new REST API bridge. This bridge provides a new REST endpoint that offers Data Protector CLI in a RESTful manner, creating a bridge between the old and new world. Unlock the advanced capabilities of Data Protector (available in form of CLI) using REST APIs.
- Install/Upgrade improvements
- Data Protector installation and upgrade flow improvements provide a better experience for fresh installation and upgrades.
- Scheduler improvements
- With Data Protector 10.20 (2018.11), the Basic Scheduler is available for use.
- For those environments which are upgraded from Data Protector 8.1x and 9.0x, there is no schedule migration performed. However, the schedules can be migrated to the Web-based Scheduler using the omnidbutil command. See the omnidbutil -help CLI option for more details.
- For environments which are already using the Web-based Scheduler, an option is provided to re-instate the Basic schedules. See the omnidbutil –help CLI option for more details.
- Data Protector now includes new reports to get a deeper insight into the Data Protector environment.
- Following reports are added with this release:
- IDB Detail report under Configuration reports
- Client Backup report under Configuration reports
- Charge back report under Advanced reports
- Data Protector also introduces Custom reports as a new category to create reports that meet the needs of your enterprise.